Forsyth County Pre-K Program
The Smart Start of Forsyth County North Carolina Pre-K Program is a universal platform, in partnership with the Family Services of Forsyth County Head Start Program and Winston Salem/Forsyth County School System. The NC Pre-K program is designed to provide high-quality early childhood education that enhances school readiness for eligible four-year-old children. As a State funded program, Smart Start of Forsyth County's NC Pre-K program has detailed goals to ensure high levels of equitable education, development, and readiness. These goals are as follows:
- Provide equitable opportunity for each four year old child in the county.
- Promote social-emotional growth.
- Improve each child’s readiness for kindergarten.
- Identify needs of the child and help families access services.
- Provide parents information to help with the transition from Pre-K to kindergarten.
Eligibility is determined by verifying family size and gross income. Other factors considered are as follows:
- Children of military families.
- Children with an identified disability or developmental/educational need.
- Children/Families with limited English skills.
- Children/Families experiencing homelessness.
Please note, in addition to the Forsyth County Pre-K application, you must attach the following documents:
- Child’s Birth Certificate
- Proof of Forsyth County residence (most current utility bill or lease under parent’s name)
- Four (4) recent wage or check stubs for parents living in the household who are working. Also, proof of SSI benefits, and/or proof of child support, if applicable. Parents do not have to be employed for the child to be eligible.
- If you are a court-ordered legal guardian of the child, please provide a copy of the court order.
An incomplete application will not be accepted. Applications are also accepted in the mailbox located outside of our office.
For further information, contact Saquana Terry, Director of Children and Family Services, at 336.714-4378.