Forsyth County Pre-K Program
The Smart Start of Forsyth County North Carolina Pre-K Program is a partnership with the Family Services of Forsyth County Head Start Program and Winston Salem/Forsyth County School System. The NC Pre-K program is designed to provide high-quality early childhood education that enhances school readiness for eligible four-year-old children. As a state-funded program, Smart Start of Forsyth County’s NC Pre-K program has detailed goals to ensure high levels of education, development, and readiness. These goals are:
- Provide equal opportunities for each four-year-old child in the county.
- Promote social-emotional growth.
- Improve each child’s readiness for kindergarten.
- Identify needs of the child and help families access services.
- Provide information to parents to help with the transition from Pre-K to kindergarten.
To benefit our children and families, the application for the NC Pre-K Program is on the SchoolMint platform. Parents seeking support for the NC Pre-K program will need to choose the 2022-23 application. If you have not created an account for SchoolMint you must first create your account and follow the guided steps.
Eligibility is determined by verifying family size and gross income. Children may also be eligible if they are:
- Children of military families.
- Children with an identified disability or developmental/educational need.
- Children/families with limited English skills.
- Children/families experiencing homelessness.
Please note, in addition to the Forsyth County Pre-K application, you must attach the following documents:
- Child’s birth certificate
- Proof of Forsyth County residence (most current utility bill or lease under parent’s name)
- Four (4) recent wage or check stubs for parents living in the household who are working. Also, proof of SSI benefits, and/or proof of child support, if applicable. Parents do not have to be employed for the child to be eligible.
- If you are a court-ordered legal guardian of the child, please provide a copy of the court order.
If your application is incomplete, it will not be processed. Applications are also accepted in the mailbox located outside of our office, 7820 North Point Blvd., Ste. 200, Winston-Salem, NC, 27106.
For further information, contact: